The Peninsula Italian American Social Club of San Mateo can proudly trace its origin directly to the 1930s. It was either 1933 or 1934 when a group of Italian American residents of San Mateo, under the leadership of Frank Lodato, joined together to form a social club for members of the Italian American community known as the New Deal Italian-American Federation of San Mateo California. The selection of the name was influenced by the newly inaugurated national social program known as the New Deal.
The first president of the club was Frank Lodato, a prominent Italian American resident of San Mateo who also was a very active Democrat.
Among the founding members were Guido Sbragia, Mike Berta, Silvio Iannaconi, Mario Cascinai, George Cascinai, A. Vespa, Pete Garelli, S. Cilia, Frank DeMartini, Joseph Ziccone, Charles Todaro, Frank Bergano, Frank Perry, Joseph Basso, Victor Turchett, Santo Colombo, Louis Pisoni and Louie Moriconi.
At that time there were three other popular Italian American organizations in San Mateo, namely the San Mateo Nest, Order of Owls chartered circa 1913; the Italian Catholic Society of San Mateo founded in the early 1920s and the Italian American Progressive Club of San Mateo. The San Mateo Nest, Order of Owls and the Italian American Progressive Club ceased to exist many years ago. The Italian Catholic Society has become a branch of the Italian Catholic Federation.
The membership of the New Deal Italian-American Federation was composed mostly of individuals whose social and political beliefs differed from those advocated by the Italian American Progressive Club.
In the early years the meetings and social events of the Club were held in the homes of members. Several of them had homes with a full basement on the ground floor with the living quarters above. The basements provided suitable quarters for the meetings and social events.
Sometime between 1934 and 1940, the club leased a building located at the corner of Second Avenue and Railroad in San Mateo. The premises were remodeled and used for club meetings and social events.
The members of the club were all very dedicated, and enthusiastically supported the activities of the group. Many social functions were sponsored for the enjoyment of the members and their families and, incidentally, to raise funds for the maintenance of the premises and payment of the necessary expenses.
Due to the untiring efforts of the officers and members, the club prospered and its membership continued to increase. In 1941, the club was incorporated as a nonprofit corporation pursuant to the laws of the State of California, and its name was changed to the New Deal Civic Club of San Mateo.
As the membership grew, the quarters on Second and Railroad became inadequate and the location undesirable for family events.
In 1940 or 1941, the club purchased the real property on B Street now occupied by the Peninsula Italian American Social Club. The premises had been vacated by the Ford Automobile Agency which was then operated by Fred E. Beer. The membership immediately embarked on a major remodeling of the building to adapt it to the needs of the club for meetings, social events and athletic events.
Upon completion of the remodeling in 1942, the club held an aggressive membership drive which culminated in a gala and very impressive inaugural celebration on February 13, 14 and 15. The festivities included an open house with buffet and entertainment on Friday evening; a Grand Ball, Dedication Ceremonies and Queen Coronation on Saturday evening and an Inaugural Banquet on Sunday. Mafalda Facchini reigned as Queen of the festivities.
The continued growth and outstanding accomplishments of the club has been due in great measure to the unselfish and untiring efforts of many of its members who for many years most willingly contributed their time and talent to perform the many tasks essential to build and maintain the club.
In 1946, the Board of Directors of the New Deal Civic Club, wiht the approval of the membership, adopted a resolution amending the Articles of Incorporation to provide that the name of the organization would be the Peninsula Social Club of San Mateo.
As time went on, the club underwent further remodeling and embellishment. Such changes included removal of the side benches and large fixed stage in the main hall (and replacement with a smaller movable stage), updating of its front and back bars, remodeling of its bathrooms, and beautification of its main hall and patio area.
In 2003, the Board of Directors, with the approval of the membership, adopted a resolution amending the Articles of Incorporation to provide that the name of the organization would be the Peninsula Italian-American Social Club of San Mateo. In 2006 the bylaws were changed to give social members the right to vote. The Club continues to prosper as one of the premiere Italian-American clubs in the Bay Area.
Italian Club in San Mateo
Crack Crab & Enjoy the Show... all for a good cause! Delicious crab dinner and uproarious Lip Sync Battle all benefiting the SAMCAR Foundation! Tickets are $65...
Zakynthian's Brotherhood Apokreatiko Masquerade Event! Costumes and Masks are highly encouraged. There will be a costume contest with prizes! Appetizers with Prime...
Donate Your Basket for the auction! Help feed hungry members of our community by donating a basket filled with goodies, prizes, swag, gift certificates, and more!...
THE CRAB FEED IS SOLD OUT! We're looking forward to a very fun evening of cracking and feasting on crab and enjoying an entertaining Lip Sync Battle with performances...
Weekly Wednesday West Coast Swing (and more) Dancing in San Mateo (7-11pm). No partner needed, Single, couples and all ages welcome. Great floor, dancing, music...